(Self-Description / Edited July 2008)
THE National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT) was founded in 1959. At the Beginning, the centre didn’t amount to very much but nevertheless research documents were served by the Compilation and Coordinating Division.
A major step forward was taken in 1964 when the Library was established under the Social Sciences Research Division, to collect, compile and service documents. Then in 1975 the Library and Documentary Services Division was founded to take responsibility for the compilation and dissemination of research documents.
The Research Library of the NRCT is a national depository of research reports and theses which have been collected from local universities and research organizations. As at June 2008 the Library holds a total of 185,067 titles, comprising of 55,326 research reports and 129,741 theses.
Foreign Researcher Management Section
One of the major functions of the NRCT is to coordinate and promote cooperation with international researchers and research institutes. The promotion of foreign researchers to conduct research in Thailand accordingly has been performing since 1963 under the control of NRCT Regulation of the Permission of Foreign Researchers to Conduct Research in Thailand.
Foreigners who would like to conduct research in Thailand can ask NRCT for an application form together with the list of regulations or they can download the forms from the NRCT website. The completed application has to be lodged with NRCT at least 90 days prior to the anticipated date of commencement of the research being proposed.
NRCT will contact Thai institutions on behalf of the applicant to seek cooperation and concerned organizations and has the final say on the proposed project. The letter of approval by NRCT can be used by the recipient to make an application for a visa to stay in Thailand for the undertaking of the project.
The responsibilities of the Foreign Section are to:
- Formulate the regulation for foreign researcher to conduct research in Thailand.
- Consider foreign research application and project.
- Coordinate with various agencies concerning research implementation of foreign researcher.
- Cooperatively give advice, guidance and facilities to foreign researcher.
- Follow-up and evaluate the research report approved.
- Follow-up the research implementation of foreign researcher.
- Compile directory of foreign researchers and to provide statistic and report concerned.
- Support and disseminate research results of foreign researcher’s project.
Websites: www.nrct.net and www.nrct-foreignresearcher.org